DNA Centronuclear Myopathy Disease Test for Labrador Retrievers
Centronuclear Myopathy (CNM) is an inherited autosomal recessive disorder and is characterized by muscle weakness and exercise intolerance.
DDC Veterinary is offering DNA Testing for Centronuclear Myopathy. Labrador Breeders have an accurate, convenient, and affordable tool to help them avoid producing CNM affected offspring and significantly reduce the gene frequency in future generations.
There are 3 possible genotypes reported for Centronuclear Myopathy:
- CLEAR (those having 2 copies of the normal allele and appear to be normal).
- CARRIER (those having 1 copy of the normal allele and 1 copy of the mutation but appear to be normal).
- AFFECTED (those having 2 copies of the mutation and will likely begin to show fatigue, muscle weakness and exercise intolerance after a few months of age.
It is important to note that although carriers will not show clinical signs for the disease, if used for breeding, they will pass on the mutation 50% of the time, therefore a carrier x carrier mating will likely result in producing affected pups in 25% of the offspring.
We will provide the owner with a detailed DNA report showing the canine's ID information and genotype: CLEAR, CARRIER, or AFFECTED.
Highlights regarding this new test include:
- DNA samples can be collected easily at home using buccal (cheek) swabs provided as part of a free DNA sample collection kit.
- Dogs can be DNA tested at ANY age.
- The cost for testing is $58 (US) per canine with a $10 discount per test for 5 or more samples submitted at the same time. Payment can be submitted with the return samples.
- DNA results are emailed within 5 business days of receipt of the samples
To set up testing, call 1-800-625-0874, or order Your Centronuclear Myopathy Test Online.
You can also use our downloadable Inherited Disease Test Order Form, which you can print and mail to our laboratory.
For more information about how these test results can be used for registration, contact the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) or the Canine Health Information Center (CHIC).
Test Fee: $58 per Sample (1-4 samples), $48 per sample (5 or more samples)
Sample Type: Buccal Swab
Turnaround Time: 5 Business Days