DNA Test for Degenerative Myelopathy
Canine Degenerative Myelopathy (DM) is a devastating degenerative disease of the spinal cord that can progress rapidly and cause weakness in the hind limbs and eventually paraplegia among genotypically affected dogs.
This test is available for all dog breeds. Initially, this inherited recessive disorder was thought to only affect German Shepherd Dogs; however, degenerative myelopathy has been recently diagnosed in several other dog breeds including the following:
- Cardigan Welsh Corgi
- Golden Retriever
Carriers of DM (those having 1 copy of the mutation) will not show symptoms; however, if they are used for breeding, they will pass on the mutation 50% of the time. If a carrier-to-carrier mating occurs, it is expected that 25% of the offspring will be at risk (those having 2 copies of the mutation).
DDC Veterinary's DNA test reveals one of the 3 possible genotypes for degenerative myelopathy:
- CLEAR (those having 2 copies of the normal allele and appear to be normal).
- CARRIER (those having 1 copy of the normal allele and 1 copy of the mutation but appear to be normal).
- AT RISK (those having 2 copies of the mutation and will likely show clinical signs.)
It is important to note that although carriers will not show clinical signs for the disease, if used for breeding, they will pass on the mutation 50% of the time, therefore a carrier x carrier mating will likely result in producing at risk pups in 25% of the offspring.
Highlights regarding this new test include:
- DNA samples can be collected easily at home using buccal (cheek) swabs provided as part of a free DNA sample collection kit.
- Dogs can be DNA tested at ANY age.
- The cost for testing is $58 (US) per canine with a $10 discount per test for 5 or more samples submitted at the same time. Payment can be submitted with the return samples.
- DNA results are mailed and emailed within 10 business days of receipt of the samples
To set up testing, call 1-800-625-0874, or order the Degenerative Myopathy DNA Test Online.
You can also use our downloadable Inherited Disease Test Order Form, which you can print and mail or fax to our laboratory (513-881-4069).
Test Fee: $58 per Sample (1-4 samples), $48 per sample (5 or more samples)
Sample Type: Buccal Swab
Turnaround Time: 10 Business Days