Limited Time Sale: Kit orders for Uric Acid DNA testing will be priced at $38 (regularly $58).
Uric Acid DNA Test (Hyperuricosuria)
Hyperuricosuria, or elevated uric acid level in the urine, is inherited as an autosomal recessive disorder and is characterized by the formation of bladder stones and occasional kidney stones.
DDC Veterinary is offering DNA Testing for Hyperuricosuria and here are 3 potential genotypes reported:
- CLEAR (those having 2 copies of the normal allele and are normal).
- CARRIER (those having 1 copy of the normal allele and 1 copy of the mutation but are not at risk for developing bladder stones)
- AFFECTED (those having 2 copies of the mutation and are at risk for developing bladder stones.)
Dalmatians are generally considered to be homozygous affected however with DNA testing efforts are being made to identify carriers which could allow for the future elimination of the disorder. Bulldog and Black Russian Terriers are also known to be affected by the disease and DNA testing is an option for other breeds as well.
Highlights regarding this new test include:
- DNA samples can be collected easily at home using buccal (cheek) swabs provided as part of the DNA sample collection kit.
- Dogs can be DNA tested at ANY age.
- The cost for testing is
$58 $38 per canine.
- DNA results are emailed within 5 business days of receipt of the samples
To set up testing, call 1-800-625-0874. or use the order button above.
For more information about how these test results can be used for registration, contact the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) or the Canine Health Information Center (CHIC)