Limited Time Sale on Pre-Paid Kit Orders: $35 (regularly $48)
PKD DNA Testing for Cats
Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) is an inherited autosomal dominant disorder characterized by the formation of cysts on the kidneys, PKD could lead to eventual renal failure and possible death. The PKD DNA test is available for the following cats breeds: Persians, Himalayans, Exotics and crosses of these three.
PKD is dominant; therefore, heterozygotes (those possessing one copy of the mutation) will likely be clinically affected. When bred to genotypically normal cats, heterozygotes will still likely produce clinically affected offspring 50% of the time.
We will email a detailed DNA report showing the cat’s genotype for PKD. The 3 possible genotypes include:
- NN (2 copies of the normal allele)
- NP Heterozygote (1 normal copy and 1 copy of the PKD mutation)
- PP (2 copies of the PKD mutation)
Polycystic Kidney Disease Inheritance
The following table shows the expected distribution of progeny genotypes based on a mating where both parents have known genotypes.
N = Normal Allele
P = PKD Mutation
NN = 2 normal copies of the gene
NP = 1 normal copy, 1 copy of the PKD mutation
PP = 2 copies of the PKD mutation
Highlights regarding this new tes include:
- DNA samples can be collected easily at home using buccal (cheek) swabs.
- Cats can be DNA tested at ANY age using the buccal swabs.
- The cost for testing is $35 (US) per feline. (normally $48)
- DNA results are emailed within 10 business days of receipt of the samples
Test Fee: $35 per Sample (normally $48)
Sample Type: Buccal Swab
Turnaround Time: 10 Business Days